What type of clamp is this?

This is a long (almost 6′ / 2m) clamp. Its similar in function to a US pipe clamp but the main body is a wood block, with notches cut or drilled.

In the UK I’ve seen the term "sash clamp" used, but those that I saw had entirely metal bodies, and I’ve never heard that term used in the US.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Woodworking Asked on January 3, 2021

1 Answers

One Answer

Grizzly sells a similar clamp and calls it a sash clamp:

Grizzly sash clamp

The same term turns up several similar models at Amazon and other retailers.

Yours is obviously not a pipe clamp as there's no actual pipe involved, but pipe clamps are also effectively the same thing: a head with a screw at one end, and a moveable foot that a slides along a pipe or bar.

Your clamp might also be described as a bar clamp, but I've seen people also use that term for F-clamps and Bessey-style parallel jaw clamps, both of which have the screw on the movable part instead of the fixed part.

Answered by Caleb on January 3, 2021

Add your own answers!

Related Questions

How to Attach Sides to Rabbit Pen

0  Asked on May 12, 2021 by dizzy49


Looking for the LEAST fragrant wood for storing tea

1  Asked on April 27, 2021 by doogan


Laminating a long beam for strength

2  Asked on April 22, 2021


Blotchy pine doors

0  Asked on April 18, 2021 by janice-smith


How can I fix smears after wipe on gel finish?

1  Asked on April 8, 2021 by joanna


What is the name of this way of Joining?

2  Asked on March 31, 2021 by fditz


Ask a Question

Get help from others!

© 2021 All rights reserved.